If you intend to make changes to your kitchen, perhaps you are thinking about relocating the kitchen sink or upgrading the ventilation system. While it is up to you to decide whether or not to remodel your kitchen, your city government might have something to say about it. So, do you need a permit to remodel a kitchen?
When you are making changes involving the electric and plumbing systems of the kitchen, you must get a remodeling permit. But you do not need a permit for tasks like painting, restoring, replacing windows, vents, or replacing things in the same place.
In this article, I will tell you why and when you need a permit to remodel your kitchen. I will also tell you what type of permit you may need and how to get that.
Why Do You Need A Kitchen Remodeling Permit?
A permit for remodeling a kitchen or any room of your house is needed for various reasons. No matter what country or city you live in, there must be rules for constructing or remodeling houses or any commercial buildings. The government set some rules to ensure public property and safety.
So, you will need permission from the local authority when the remodeling involves public resources like electricity, natural gas, or even the plumbing system. The local authority will consider your application for remodeling. You will get the permit if the authority thinks the changes will not affect the public or your safety.
In addition, the permits will influence selling your property or house in the future. Buyers will ask you to show legal papers related to remodeling. Failing to show the proof can cancel your house sale and even lower its price.
Remodeling the kitchen without a permit will get you punished. The authority will inspect the remodeling, and you may have to reverse the changes. Moreover, you will have to pay a significant amount of money if you damage any public resources.
What Type Of Permit Do You Need To Remodel A Kitchen?
There is actually no separate category of permit to remodel a kitchen. It is the same type of permit you need to remodel other rooms of your house. The government issues different types of permits for remodeling.
If you have to change the electronic system or add new electric connections in your kitchen, you will need an electric permit. For changing the waterline or plumbing system, you need a plumbing permit. These technical permits are also known as mechanical permits. These permits are less complicated and are issued in a few days.
But if you are demolishing some part of the kitchen or building some part of the kitchen, then you will need a building permit. Besides, you will need separate permits for electric and plumbing changes.
For example, you are altering a wall, and it has electric connections or waterlines. Hence, you will need a permit for all three categories mentioned above. However, only a building permit is necessary for building or demolishing walls that have no electric or plumbing connections.
When Do You Need Permit To Remodel Your Kitchen?
Since remodeling a kitchen involves some legal issues, it is better to learn when you need one. It will save both your time and money. So, here are some common kitchen changes that require permits:
- Changing Electric System: Making changes in the electric system is risky, especially if it is old. So, you may want to install or repair the electric system of your kitchen. It also includes installing a new fan or a light in a new location in the kitchen.
- Ventilation And Air Conditioning: For installing new heating, ventilation, or air conditioning (HVAC), you may have to demolish some parts of the kitchen. You will definitely need a permit for water heaters. It also involves some electric work. Hence, you need permission.
- Gas And Plumbing Connection: The connections for gas, water, and plumbing systems are interconnected with the entire house or building. So, the changes in the systems mustn’t cause problems or danger to others. So, for any new installations, repairs, and reconstructions, you need a permit.
- Building Or Demolishing Walls: In most states in the USA, building or demolishing the wall of a room requires a building permit. It is also a must for constructing a chimney.
- Adding New Windows Or Door: Your kitchen may need new windows, so you have to make holes in the wall. That will also require a permit. The same goes for installing a new door on a new side of the kitchen.
- The Cost of Remodeling: In some states, you will need a permit for any kind of remodeling if the cost exceeds $5,000. So, check our state rules before you spend too much money on remodeling.
Apart from these reasons, you may require a permit for remodeling your kitchen whenever it needs electronic, plumbing, or gas system changes. It can be as simple as installing a new sink or electric switchboard. Also, any task making significant alterations to the footprint of your kitchen will need a permit.
When Are Permits Not Needed For Kitchen Remodeling?
Permits for remodeling a kitchen are not always mandatory. You can make some changes in your kitchen without the interference of the local authority. But you should check your city or state rules to see which tasks do not require permits.
Here is a list of common tasks that rarely require any permits:
- Installing and putting up the new appliance at the same place.
- Changing countertops
- Painting and restoring
- Installing Wallpapers
- Replacing or re-installing windows and doors at the same place.
- Replacing or installing a sink or water faucet at the same place.
- Installing flooring that does not involve electric or plumbing changes.
- Minor electric or plumbing services that do not require new or major changes.
How Do You Get A Remodel Permit For Kitchen?
Now, you may want to know how to get permits for remodeling your kitchen. First, only an expert in property renovation can measure the changes in your kitchen. You can also hire a professional kitchen remodeler to remodel your kitchen. Some professionals even make 3D models to show the changes required to remodel your kitchen.
These professional contractors will also apply for the remodeling permits to the local authority. Therefore, you should ask the professionals if they will help you to get permission. They will also advise you on which permit you need and how much it will cost you.
Remodeling applications for the kitchen usually take 4 to 6 weeks to get approved. Check your city or state government permitting office to see the requirements of getting permission and how long it takes to obtain a permit.
Having a permit is also important for your safety. When you apply for the permits, inspections will take place. The inspectors will check for potential dangers involving the remodeling.
If inspectors find any issues regarding the remodeling of your kitchen, they will not give you the permits. They will advise you to make some changes to your plans. Then you have to apply for the permits again. Also, be transparent about the remodeling planning. Any unplanned changes to the kitchen without permits are strictly punished.
Now, do you need a permit to remodel a kitchen? In short, you will need permits when you are making major changes related to the electric, plumbing, and gas system of the kitchen. Otherwise, it is alright to make simple alterations in your kitchen. So, know your state rules and start redesigning your kitchen!